Born on October 2nd, 1950 in Montevideo, Uruguay.
Legal advice on Labour and Social Security Law matters.
Member of arbitration tribunals seeking to elucidate individual and collective labour disputes.
Consultant of the Inter-American Development Bank in cooperation projects with the processes of regional integration and harmonization of standards for free movement within Mercosur.
Doctor in Law and Social Sciences, School of Law of the University of the Republic (1975).
- Professor of Labour Law and Social Security Law at the Faculty of Law, University of the Republic (since 1977) and the University of Montevideo (since 1988).
- Director of Law Review at the University of Montevideo (since 2014).
- Founder of the Human Resource Management Program at the University of Montevideo (2010). Furthermore, he participates in post-graduate courses on Company Law and Human Resources at said University. He was director of the Master Program on Policy and Integration Law in Mercosur at the IEEM (1996 -2000).
- Head of CADE Labour Report (CADE is Business Advisory Corporation) since 1981.
- Lecturer and speaker at Cade courses on various topics related to labour law.
- "Manual Práctico de Normas Laborales" ("Practical Manual of Labour Standards", in 2013 he updated with Matias Perez del Castillo the 13th edition);
- "El Derecho de la Huelga" ("The Right to Strike", Montevideo, 1992) translated as "Direito da Greve" (São Paulo, 1994);
- “Introducción al Derecho de las Relaciones Colectivas de Trabajo” ("Introduction to the Law of Collective Labour Relations", 1995),
- "Yearbook of Labour Law" (for several years).
- Published over one hundred articles on Labour Law, labour market, social security and industrial relations in Uruguayan and foreign magazines.
- Minister of Labour and Social Security of Uruguay between November of 2002 and March 2005.
- Member of arbitrators list of the MERCOSUR Dispute Settlement System
- Head of the Uruguayan delegation for subgroup 11 for MERCOSUR negotiations.
- Former Uruguayan representative on the Board of Directors of the International Labour Organization (ILO) and member of the Committee on Freedom of Association as a government member (1990-1993).
- Director of Department of the Ministry of Labour and Social Security to accomplish tasks in the field of International Labour Relations, from 1990 until 1993.
Other professional activities
- Board member of BBVA Uruguay from 2007 to date.
- Dean of the University of Montevideo from April 2009 until 2015.
- Senior partner of Estudio Perez del Castillo-Navarro-Inciarte-Gari, founded in 1975.
CHAMBERS & PARTNERS Latin America "Leading Individual" in Labour & Employment Law (2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017).
- Institute of Business Studies of Montevideo (founding member since 1988).
- Latin American Institute of Labour and Social Security.
- Founding member of the Uruguayan Association of Labour Law and Social Security.
- International Association of Friends of the ILO.
- Uruguayan National Academy of Economics.
- National Academy of Labour Law from Brazil, appointed in November 1994.
- Uruguayan Bar Association.
- Co-editor of the Labour Law Journal (1987-2010).
Spanish, English, French and Portuguese.
The Firm has been repeatedly recognized by Chambers & Partners, one of the most prestigious editorials investigating the legal market. Product of that investigation in which clients, colleagues and businessmen intervene, Pérez del Castillo & Asociados has been recognized in three areas in which it specializes: Labor, Corporate and Dispute Resolution. In Labor law, the partners Santiago Pérez del Castillo and Matías Pérez del Castillo have been renowned, as well as Florencia Di Segni. In corporate matters, Matías Pérez del Castillo and Miguel Casanova were recognized. And in dispute resolution, Matías Pérez del Castillo was acknowledged.
Seasoned practitioner Santiago Pérez del Castillo continues to be held in the highest esteem by interviewees, with one reporting: "He is an excellent professional who is well known for his strong track record in the Uruguayan labour and employment arena." Another observer adds: "Santiago Pérez del Castillo is a historic figure and a reference in this field."
Seasoned practitioner Santiago Pérez del Castillo is held in the highest esteem by market commentators, with one describing him as "an eminence in the Uruguayan labour and employment arena." Another interviewee goes on to praise his academic contribution to the sector, stating: "Every lawyer who has studied the labour area in Uruguay has read the books he has written on the subject."
Santiago Pérez del Castillo garners praise from sources for his longstanding presence in the market. One interviewee lauds him as "one of the best labour lawyers in the country and an exceptional attorney."He provides expertise in both consultancy and litigation cases.
Santiago Pérez del Castillo enjoys a stellar reputation for his top-tier knowledge in this field. Clients endorse his "technical strength, which makes him a point of reference in the country." Another source states: "You can be confident you are in good hands with him, he is one of the best in Uruguay. His recommendations are impeccably well founded."
Clients are quick to praise Santiago Pérez del Castillo, stating: "He has encyclopaedic knowledge and with his expertise and experience you really can rely on him so much. He offersexamples to make you feel confident." He enjoys an excellent reputation within the labour market, with one interviewee saying: "He stands out for his prestige as a jurist and for his vast professional and academic career." (Notable Practitioner in Labour & Employment; Chambers & Partners 2019)
Santiago Pérez del Castillo is a highly respected practitioner within the Uruguayan labour market, with a considerable academic pedigree. Clients are full of praise for his vast knowledge of labour law, noting: "When the matters are very complicated, he is the one we go to." (Notable Practitioner in Labour & Employment; Chambers & Partners 2018)
Santiago Pérez del Castillo is recognised for his publications on labour law as well as his advice on training. He also represents clients in court cases and assists with contracts and social security. ((Notable Practitioner in Labour & Employment; Chambers & Partners 2017)
Santiago Pérez del Castillo is described as a "pre-eminent figure in the labour sphere." He plays an active role in the firm's labour practice, having held roles in government and academia. (Notable Practitioner in Labour & Employment; Chambers & Partners 2016)
Santiago Pérez del Castillo is commended by peers as a point of reference in the labour market, and for his outstanding sector knowledge.(Notable Practitioner in Labour & Employment; Chambers & Partners 2015)